WE HAVE MOVED
The Historical Society office, a greatly expanded museum and research library are all located there. Entrance is on the First Street side.
Hours: 10 am – 3 pm, Tuesday through Saturday
The historic Old Post Office was built in 1937 as the Federal Building, housing a post office on the main floor and Department of Agriculture offices in the basement. The building was expanded in 1962 and sold to the county when a new post office was built in 1991. The county used the building as a District Court until 2013 and then it served as a temporary location for the county library. The county and the Historical Society have partnered in establishing a county Historical Center at the location. The original post office Mural, painted in 1939, has been restored to its original condition.
The Historical Society was formerly located in the historic Frauenthal House at 210 North Broadway in Heber Springs for more than 20 years. The Frauenthal House is still owned by the Historical Society and the future of the house has not been decided.
The house is on the National Register of Historic Places and is designed in the Craftsman style of architecture. It is a single-story, wood-frame building erected in 1914 for Frauenthal, a prominent businessman and landowner in the early days of the county. It was designed by an architect whose identity is currently unknown, yet who was obviously well versed in this style of architecture. The use of a multiple-gable roof, wood-shingle siding and Prairie-style windows distinguishes this house from the more common vernacular examples of the Craftsman style.
- Membership in the society is open to anyone who has an interest in Cleburne County and its people and in the history of the region.
- Membership is $15.00 per year or $250.00 for life membership.
- Members receive four quarterly issues per year of the Historical Journal, which includes pictures, stories, and remembrances about the history of Cleburne County. Members also receive four society newsletters per year, and have use of the research library at no charge.