Monthly Archives: December 2007
The Cleburne County Historical Society (CCHS) has compiled a list of the known cemeteries in Cleburne County, AR. The cemetery name, location including latitude and longitude (DMS), geographical quadrant of the county, and approximate number of graves is shown in the following table. The names of some of the cemeteries have changed over the years. Alternate names are shown in parentheses.
Cleburne County Historical Society
PO Box 794
Heber Springs, AR 72543
The Tenth Arkansas Infantry Regiment was organized at Springfield in Conway County in July 1861. This is where many volunteers from Van Buren County (Eastern Van Buren County later became Cleburne) were mustered into the Confederate Army.
Company “A,” known as “Quitman Rifles,” was headed by Captain A. R. Witt. Other officers were First Lt. W. W. Martin, Second Lt. C. M. Cargile, Third Lt. Israel Davis, and First Sergeant W. R. Corbin. The company had eight non-commissioned officers and 94 men in all.
Company “G” was called “Red River Riflemen.” Officers were Captain John B. Miller, First Lt. James E. Lockard, Second Lt. Henry J. Gatton, Third Lt. Edwin Ellis, and First Sergeant Daniel Johnson. This company with ten non-commissioned officers had 91 men.
Other companies in the regiment were the “Randy Rifles,” the “Choctaw Riflemen” from Conway County, “Pemberton’s Company,” “Muddy Bayou Heroes,” “Perry County Mountaineers”, “Conway Tigers,” and “Springfield Sharpshooters.”
Field and staff officers for the Tenth were Colonel T. D. Merrick, Lt. Col. S. S. Ford, Major Obed Patty, and Adjutant Robert C. Bertrand.
A summary of some of the members of the 10th (Merrick’s) Arkansas Infantry Regiment, CSA, believed to have been from southern Van Buren County (later Cleburne), Arkansas Continue reading